DIRTY DOZEN in Skin & body care-Do you know them ????
The largest organ of our body,"Skin".It absorbs 80% of what it comes in contact with.Gets into the blood stream and thus to our system.Soaps, Shampoos,Bath gel,
lotions ,toothpaste,beauty & make up products etc,all of which packed in those pretty ,fancy bottles & sachets endorsed by celebrities,marketed by Multi national corporations.What exactly
do they all contain? How do they actually put the desired effect on your Skin ? What magical elements do they have to transform you into a Beauty???
Well, researchers in US, Europe who have been working on the long term effects of such products have found now that many ingredients used in most of the
leading personal care products contain industrial chemicals, including carcinogens, pesticides, reproductive toxins, endocrine disruptors, plasticizers, degreasers, and
surfactants. Question, How do we know the presence of such toxins in the product? Simple, just read the ingredient list before buying...
Leave alone "we" turning beautiful, what are they doing to our Earth as we wash & flush them down the drain everyday???
Here is a list of 12 chemicals you might want to avoid in your personal care products.They are called the "Dirty Dozen "
1. Sodium Laureth Sulfate - (SLS ) used in cosmetics as a cleansing agent and also to make products bubble and foam (Look also for related chemical sodium
lauryl sulfate.Contaminants may cause cancer.
2. BHA or BHT - used mainly in moisturizers and makeup as antioxidants and preservatives. BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) and BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) BHA
is toxic to the immune system and a possible human carcinogen. Both chemicals can cause allergic reactions, are suspected of interfering with hormone function (endocrine disruption), and
may promote tumour growth.
3. Triclosans- used mainly in antiperspirants/deodorants, cleansers, and hand sanitizers as a preservative and an anti-bacterial agent. Is suspected of
interfering with hormone function (endocrine disruption).
4. Coal Tar Dyes - used in hair dyes (Look for p-phenylenediamine or colours identified as "C.I." followed by a 5-digit number) Phenylenediamine, has been found
to be carcinogenic. Coal tar itself is recognized as a human carcinogen and the main concern with coal tar.
5.. DEA - used to make cosmetics creamy or sudsy (Look also for related chemicals MEA and TEA).DEA (diethanolamine) and DEA compounds irritate the skin and eyes and
may be toxic to the immune and nervous systems. DEA compounds can also react with other ingredients in cosmetics to form carcinogenic nitrosamines.
6. Phthalate - used mainly in nail products and are also unlisted fragrance ingredients.It can enhance the capacity of other chemicals to cause genetic
mutations, although it is not a mutagen itself. Can cause reproductive and developmental problems.
7.. Formaldehyde-releasing Preservatives - used as preservatives in cosmetics (Look for DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea, methenamine,
quarternium-15, and sodium hydroxymethylglycinate) .Formaldehyde is a recognized human carcinogen. They are also toxic to aquatic organisms.
8. Fragrance or Parfum-Fragrance recipes are considered a trade secret, so companies are not required to disclose fragrance chemicals in the list of ingredients.
Many of these hidden ingredients are irritants and can trigger allergic attacks, migraines, and chemical-induced nerve irritation in sensitive individuals. Individual fragrance ingredients have
been associated with cancer and neurotoxicity.
9. Parabens - are widely used in cosmetics as a preservative (Look for ingredients ending in "paraben" (e.g., methylparaben)).Suspected of interfering with hormone
function (endocrine disruption).
10.PEG compounds - are widely used in cream bases in cosmetics (Look also for related chemical propylene glycol and other ingredients with the letters "eth" (e.g.,
polyethylene glycol)).May harm the nervous system and interfere with human development.
11.Petrolatum - used as a barrier to lock moisture in the skin in a variety of moisturizers.A petrochemical, it can be contaminated with cancer-causing polycyclic
aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).Innocent looking ingredient "Mineral Oil" is a petroleum derivative.
12. Siloxanes - used in cosmetics to soften, smooth, and moisten (Look for cyclomethicone and ingredients ending in "siloxane" (e.g., cyclotetrasiloxane).They are
also suspected of interfering with hormone function (endocrine disruption) and of liver toxicity.
About 15% of us are sensitive to detergents. Others are sensitive to the preservatives, colors and fragrances used by mass marketers in both soap and detergent